Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Atlantic City and Chesapeake

Bill, Mary Beth Lambert and Paul Shumway, who Bill knows from tennis, ducked into Atlantic City after a long, cold night sailing into near gale winds. They stayed fairly cozy with the detachable cockpit sides installed, but it was an uncomfortable night. Several other sailboats also came into port that night because of the weather, and some were damaged. Act III didn't blink a spreader...it was the crew who wimped out. (I'm not there, so I can throw down the challenges.)

After a day's rest and just a little gambling for Paul--I heard he was only down $2.50--they had a nice sail to Cape May for a night, then onto Delaware City. Paul slowed the ride up Delaware Bay by catching a couple of nice bluefish, which he filleted live and grilled on the barbie when they got to port. The crew found the bottle of Meyers rum and the bottle of wine I had secreted aboard, and had a fine meal in mild-ish weather.

The plan is to leave Delaware City tomorrow (Weds. 11/11) and anchor in the Sassafras River near the top of Chesapeake Bay. Then an easy sail puts them in Baltimore the next day, where Paul and Mary Beth will head back to their car in NYC, and Bill will wait for me to arrive next week. (11/19). I'm grateful for my friend Susan (also the fabulous lead in our quartet, Sound Investment) whose sister lives in the Baltimore area, as she'll drive me there and visit her sib. It takes pressure off me to meet a plane deadline, and I can haul even more stuff aboard, like the nifty patchwork dinghy bag I'm making to protect the inflatable from UV.

After I hop aboard, we'll hustle to Hampton VA (across from Norfolk) where we'll meet Polly, Miles, Miles' parents Tammy and Robin, and his grandmother Donna Jean for Thanksgiving and a little cruising. No, I'm not going to do a turkey in the galley stove.



1 comment:

  1. This is an outrage--I walked away from AC thirty dollars richer than I sailed in with. That worm farmer Capn Rales has rewritten history to coincide with his theory that you can't beat the house...I beat the house, baby. 'The Donald' is still reeling from that hit. MB and I had a great time aboard the 'III", and leart much at the feet of the master, capn Rales. lets see...Head, thorax, abdo....I mean, Head, tack, Clew....luff, foot, and........................LEACH! Happy continued floating.........Pshum

    ReplyDelete